My dear husband’s socks were not finished in time for Christmas. They have advanced quite nicely, but work is still required. They will be New Year socks instead.
My mystery plywood project has also taken several steps forward. I think you can now see that it will be a lampshade.
The original plan was for it to be a sphere made up of 60 identical elements, but I hadn’t thought properly a) how it would be attached to the lampholder, and b) having done that, how the bulb could then be changed in the future without laboriously dismantling a large part of it. Instead of the arrangement shown above I now have a central “spider” through which the flex passes – and is held in place with a cable gland that grips the flex – and 5 modified elements each with one stumpy leg.
I still need to laser-cut another dozen or so elements, then dismantle the shade and paint the inside of all the elements white. By the time I’ve done that there is every possibility that the nylon nuts and bolts I’ve ordered will have arrived and the (mostly) steel ones I’ve used for the temporary assembly can be replaced.