The mystery project continues. I now have almost as many plywood shapes as I need, and some of them have been painted white on one side. Eventually I’ll paint them all, but for now I just wanted to check that the paint I’m using (a flexible ceiling paint) won’t flake off when the plywood is bent.
I’ve started to assemble them into groups of 5, using steel nuts and bolts. I have some nylon ones on order, which should look better as well as being lighter. Yes, weight will be an issue for this project.
Apart from testing the paint, the other reason I’m doing a pre-assembly is to help me decide whether I should make all 60 shapes exactly the same, or whether the final few need to be a little different. You see, it will be necessary to take the structure apart – partially – every now and again, and having some that are adapted for easier disassembly, or to minimise the number of joints that will need to be undone, might be sensible.
Any idea what I’m making yet?
I’ve also been making Dorset buttons this week. Someone gave me a beginner’s kit some time ago, I made one button at the time and then put it away. More recently, I saw some beautiful examples at a craft fair in Dorset, and then this artwork at the recent Harrogate Knitting & Stitching Show.
It appealed to me because, as well as being beautifully executed, it’s maths-y. It depicts a single path through all the discs in the grid, without any being visited more than once. If I’m reading it properly (there wasn’t much explanation), the black interconnectors denote the travelled route and the white ones those paths that have not been travelled. You can see how the black route snakes around, taking in each of the buttons.
The colourful, shiny creation, achieved using very fine silk thread, inspired me to have another go at Dorset button making. Here are the plain white ones made from the kit. They got better – no.1 is at top left, no.3 at the bottom.
I think they’d be lovely down the front of a plain white shirt.
And then I made a ‘bunch of flowers’ version, as a brooch.
A festive wreath
The cork wreath I made in October is in its winter finery, thanks to friends who kindly gave me some variegated holly covered in berries from their garden. I’ve suspended it next to the front door, under an outside light I put up soon after I started this blog.
We’ve had compliments already. I think it looks very festive with its abundance of red berries.