The chalkboard itself is just an offcut of plywood painted with two coats of blackboard paint, and I made the frame from yet more offcuts of engineered oak flooring from last year’s floor project.
I’ve also been finishing a bird nesting box made from the same flooring material, using an RSPB design. I’ve treated the plywood edges that are exposed to the weather with 3 coats of Danish oil, and varnished the ply on the inside in case there is anything in the glue holding it together that could be harmful if it comes into contact with birds. The oak itself is already oiled and should stand up to the outside for a year or two before it needs re-doing.
I should have finished this birdbox months ago but I lost enthusiasm when I made a few mistakes, like this deep gouge where the saw slipped.
Half the problem was, I was over-ambitious, choosing to avoid any visible screws or nails. Instead, I made the joints using small dowels, and it was difficult to get them to line up perfectly with holes drilled in the inside face of each joint. But I figure the birds won’t care, and it is still a very solid, sturdy home for them. There’s no point putting it up until the Spring, which gives me time to decide how best to attach the lid in such a way that it can be easily removed for annual cleaning while being predator-proof when the birds are in residence.
I’ve started a pair of socks for my dear husband too, using the same yarn as the pair I knitted him earlier in the year. Now that the weather is getting colder he is very glad of that pair, his first hand-knitted socks, and started dropping hints that he’d quite like more of them. I’ve started the new pair at a different place in the colour sequence to make mix-and-match socks rather han two identical pairs.
As for last week’s mystery project, I now have a stack of plywood shapes but I need more, 60 in all.