After making the cushions for our new window seat earlier this year, I was left with a small amount of fabric left. There was a rectangle of the striped linen union and a couple of small triangles of green velvet remaining after cutting bias strips for piping. Since then, I’ve been looking for a rectangular cushion pad of the right size, to make a scatter cushion. I finally found one during a trip to see friends on the other side of the country last week.
From the two triangles of velvet I was able to cut four more bias strips to make enough piping to go all around the cushion cover. It fastens with Velcro in one of the short ends.
Now I can finally call the window seat complete. I wish I had enough fabric for another cushion or two though. Maybe I’ll find some more of the green velvet – which was a remnant – if I keep my eyes open when I next visit The Shuttle.
Bent wood update
When I took the clamps off the strips of oak I experimented with last week, the pair of laminated and glued strips that I’d formed around a dustbin lid stayed exactly the same, no discernible “springback” at all. That’s them on the right hand side of the photo. But the ones that I’d bowed in the jaws of sash cramps didn’t do nearly as well, and I suspect that they’re still gradually unbending. All of these strips were soaked in water overnight with no heat applied during the bending process.
So, I’ve learnt two things from these experiments. Firstly, it seems just as easy to bend these 6mm thick strips by soaking them as it is to steam them. Despite that, my view is that steaming is the way to go. It’s a bit more effort to mess about with a wallpaper steamer, but the coat stand I’m planning to make requires a bend in the mid part of a 1900mm long strip and I don’t have a vessel that long that could be used for soaking. Also, steaming is a lot quicker.
The second thing I’ve learnt is that laminating two strips makes the bent strips hold their new shape very effectively, as well as making the laminated component much stronger and more rigid. I aim to use three strips for each leg of the coat stand, which should make it heavy enough not to topple when a winter coat is hung on one side.