Despite the fact that I posted a pic of this nearly-finished pair of socks last week, I only noticed when I reached the ribbing a couple of days later that the stripes weren’t matching in the upper half of the leg. The reason why is very obvious when you look closely – the uppermost white stripe of the second sock is several rows wider than the equivalent stripe in the first sock.
This offended my sense of symmetry once I’d spotted it, so I pulled out a couple of inches of knitting and discarded a few meters of white yarn to bring the stripes back into line. Here’s the result, pleasingly matchy-matchy.
The yarn was very cheap for a 75% superwash wool sock yarn – just £2 for a 100g ball – and that means I can’t really complain about the unevenness of the print. At least I hadn’t already done the tubular cast-off by the time I decided it had to be ripped out.
I don’t know what to knit next. I have another 100g of the same yarn and I could just knit my dear husband a second pair, with the stripe colours starting in a different place so that he could mix and match. But it’s rather boring knitting 4 socks in the same yarn, one after another, and I’d rather see if the first pair actually get worn before I commit to making a second pair. Seeing as it’s now almost summer, it could be a few months before I discover whether the second ball of yarn is destined to become his socks or mine.