I’ve worn this cardigan a few times since I finished it (or thought I had), but I wasn’t happy with the bracelet-length sleeves. I’ve been putting off doing anything about it, while knowing that I’d have to sooner or later or the annoying gap at my wrists would drive me mad. I had 20g of yarn left over, so no excuse.
At the weekend I sat down and laboriously unpicked the cuffs that I’d cast off using the tubular method, equally laboriously, only a fortnight earlier. Not an easy task with Shetland yarn that semi-felts itself together when it’s washed. Then I wound the yarn into two equally sized balls, doubling it while I was at it (I knitted my Flaum with two ends of 4-ply), joined each one to the unpicked yarn with felted grafts and set to work.
Actually, it didn’t take long to do 17 extra rounds of ribbing per sleeve and then the tubular cast-off again.
I didn’t even need to look up how to do it this time, it really is easily memorised if you know how to graft stocking stitch together.
The extended portions looked decidedly grubby compared to the rest of the cardi which had been washed to remove the lanolin and 35 years’ worth of dirt and mould. This last 20g of yarn was on the outside of the cone originally, which meant it was dirtier than the rest.
But I’m glad to say that the cuffs have come up all blue and fluffy like the rest of the garment after I washed them and blocked them using the calf portion of my home-made sock blockers.
Much better. I’m so pleased I did this. And all that’s left of the blue Shetland 4-ply is a metre or two which I’ll keep for darning, should it ever be needed. It’s a good job I did the pocket linings in a contrast colour though, or there wouldn’t have been enough for full length sleeves.
I need another project now. I’d like to try crocheting a summer handbag. Might need to experiment with string before deciding what yarn would be best.