While one member of the family has been enjoying the new window seat cushions, I’ve been doing some woodwork. Our 11-year-old television went phut recently, and wasn’t worth fixing. I’m pretty sure that the problem was a failure of the LED backlight, and replacing it wouldn’t have been worthwhile because it’s an expensive repair and something else is sure to go wrong soon with a TV of that age. We’ve bought a new one with the same screen size as its predecessor. As is often the way with electronic goods, it cost half as much, weighs half as much and has way more features.
Once I’d got the hang of the new television’s many “smart” capabilities, the only thing I found annoying was its stand. Whereas the old model had a central pedestal, the new one basically has a foot at each corner. Which is fine, until we want to turn it to face a different part of the room, because it can only be turned a short way in either direction without the feet at diagonally opposite corners falling off the edge of the hi-fi unit it sits on.
I put up with this for a week or two before deciding something had to be done. I found a cheap plastic turntable on Amazon that’s meant for putting under large pot plants. And in the garage was an offcut of melamine-faced chipboard (MFC) that was a little damp, but didn’t look too bad once I’d brought it indoors and dried it out.
I used a jigsaw to cut a lozenge-shaped piece of MFC that was wide enough in the centre to accommodate the turntable and tapered down to ends just wider than the spacing of the TV’s feet, with rounded corners to avoid taking a lump out of the wall if I turn it too far. Then I used a router to cut out a recess on the underside for the turntable. I find routers a bit scary, but I just took it slowly, working in ever-diminishing rings until I reached the minimum radius of the circle-cutting jig.
When I’d cut away as much material as I dared – any more and it would have been impossible to keep the router level – I removed the remainder with a chisel. Amazingly, the turntable fitted perfectly into the recess without the need for any adjustment (or glue!).
I finished my rotating platform by applying iron-on edging tape all around the outer edges then painting it to match the hi-fi unit I revamped some time ago.
I’m delighted with this rotating shelf. It appears to float an inch or so above the top of the unit, which means the turntable is only visible from a low angle, like in the photo above. Now I can turn the TV with a fingertip to face wherever we’re sitting.
My fisherman’s rib cardi, Flaum, is progressing.
I’ve got to the point where I know that my 500-odd grammes of blue Shetland wool won’t be enough and I’ll need to use a contrast yarn for the pocket linings, cuffs and hem. Even so I will have to live with a cardigan that is rather more cropped than I would have liked – it was either that or go with the ¾ length sleeves the pattern calls for, and I’ve never seen the point of a thick jumper that leaves the wearer with chilly wrists. I hope that the two-tone effect looks more like a conscious design choice than the needs-must solution that it really is.