I’ve made the quilted cat bed I posted about last week. This is not for proper, night-time sleeps – our cat has a perfectly good basket in the kitchen – but for daytime snoozes in the sitting room. The hope is that he will stop sitting on the furniture, and that a posh, chintzy bed will be less of an embarrassment than hairy seating when we have visitors.
Half-way through this project, I began to have doubts. Firstly, why was I spending time and using the last of my precious Skopos quilted fabric on a pet bed that the cat might not deign to use? Secondly, it looked enormous. I’d cut a 17” diameter circle for the base, but even to the owner of a 6kg Maine Coon it seemed very big once I started assembling it.
I decided I’d better have a trial run. I clipped the main fabric pieces together and put the proto-bed on the floor in front of a radiator, wondering how on earth I was going to persuade the cat to get in it and lie down. I needn’t have worried. Within 2 minutes the cat had spotted his would-be bed, climbed in it, had a quick wash and then curled up to sleep. What is it about cats and circles on the floor? (Just Google “cat in circle” if you haven’t come across this phenomenon before.)
It did look a little large, but once I’d stuffed the tube that forms the outer edge it seemed a better fit.
I couldn’t find a way of assembling all the layers that would hide the raw edges of the circular seam joining the tubular side to the base. The base (quilted fabric plus two extra layers of wadding and a lining on the underside) was just too bulky to be turned inside out through a gap in the seam. And once I’d stuffed the tube, the whole thing was too bulky to get under my sewing machine again, which meant binding the raw edges wasn’t even possible unless I applied binding by hand. But the raw edges tuck neatly under the padded tube on the inside where they aren’t really visible.
I added a removable liner made from an old kitchen towel – it’s easily washable and keeps the base clean – and that covers the circular seam nicely and should stop dirt gathering under it.
All in all, this was quite a quick and easy project which used less than a metre of quilted fabric. (You just need a 17” diameter circle and a 10” wide strip long enough to go around it – I joined three shorter strips together.) It did take a surprising amount of polyester stuffing though.
Norwegian Fir update
I didn’t manage to find any denim-coloured buttons I liked for this baby cardi, so I’ve gone for a complete contrast, a cheerful, sunny yellow.