Some years ago, a Yorkshire-based fabric printer and finisher called Skopos had a number of mill shops in which they sold ends-of-rolls of heavyweight cotton furnishing fabric very cheaply. I have curtains, cushions and loose covers I made in the late 1980s and early 1990s from those remnants; they are washed at least once a year and have held up at least as well as the Sandersons linen union (a cotton/linen blend) that I typically bought before I discovered Skopos.
I have no idea whether there is still a Skopos millshop anywhere – the durability of their fabrics means that they seldom need replacing – but I still have some unused quilted fabric that I must have bought over 20 years ago. I’ve made all sorts of things from it in the past, including table mats, toilet roll covers and hot water bottle covers.
I dug out what was left the other day after a visit to a friend who works from home and subsists on microdoses of coffee that she brews in a small cafetiere. She has a very fine Orcadian felt muff for the larger cafetiere that she and her husband use after dinner, but she was complaining that she couldn’t find anything to fit the tiny one she takes into her office during the day.
‘Nuff said. I don’t need much excuse to sew something simple. Once I got home, out came the Skopos quilted furnishing cotton and I soon rustled up a mini version of the cosies I’ve made in the past. It’s to fit a 22 cm circumference cafetiere, and unfortunately I don’t have one that small on which to model it, so here it is on something else instead.
These cosies are really simple to make, and I’ve posted about them before – see quilted covers. Here’s what the latest one looks like laid flat. It’s just a rectangle with a tab closed with Velcro.
The poor cat is not impressed with our new oak flooring, he’d clearly rather we still had a nice soft carpet downstairs. And the old carpet was conveniently cat-coloured. Now, the cat is taking every opportunity for daytime snoozes on our chairs, sofas and rugs, none of which is at all cat-coloured so I am constantly vacuuming up cat hair. With luck, that can be remedied with a comfy cat bed, and one made of Skopos’s exuberantly chintzy print will be presentable enough to leave on show in our sitting room.
My Dreambird shawl is coming along nicely – no significant problems so far.
Since this shawl is composed of repeated feather motifs, all of which are exactly the same, in theory it should be plain sailing once the first has been knitted. I wish. Even though I’ve simplified the instructions to remove the need for most of the counting, there is still a fair bit of counting involved. It’s quite easy to mis-count because of the large number of stitches, and I am forever being distracted and then finding I’m a stitch or several adrift at some point. But it will be worth the effort, I’m sure. It’s already looking pretty fabulous IMHO.