One of the many good things about the knitting and crochet community Ravelry is its forums, and several of those forums are devoted to bringing designers and test-knitters together. The designer gets her draft pattern tested in all the variations and sizes for free, while the testers have the fun of trying something “hot off the press”, again for free.
Before publishing my Blue Selbu hat in 2016 I took advantage of this and had my draft pattern tested by several experienced hat knitters, to whom I shall be forever grateful. While they didn’t find any major flaws, their feedback allowed me to improve the clarity of the instructions in a number of respects. Now, when I look at the Ravelry project notes of those who have made a Blue Selbu, I see that a few have commented that the pattern is well written, which gives me a buzz. There’s nothing more dispiriting than getting halfway through a knitting project and then being stumped by the instructions – apart from finishing a project and finding you went wrong somewhere because the pattern was ambiguously worded.
I’ve never taken on the test-knitting role though, until now. Having recently finished my linen jumper and the Fairy Leaves baby dress, I was looking for a new knitting project to keep my hands busy. It’s not really socks weather, but it will be in another month and I could do with at least one more pair to reach my goal of being able to wear hand-knitted socks every day without having to do a sock wash more than once a week.
I had a flick through the latest appeals for test-knitters in the Ravelry forum I belong to and found a design that seemed to call to me. These socks are knitted with short rows, not unlike the Diversion socks I made in the Spring, and the pattern calls for the German Short Rows technique to be used just like my version of Diversion.
They are called Sand Art and you can see why.
I’m using Cozy Toez, the third time I’ve used this sock yarn. The colour changes are very short and that is producing an interesting effect in the short-row sections. I’m enjoying seeing how it works out, and also keeping the designer updated on progress and any difficulties with her pattern – nothing major so far and the first sock is done so it should be plain sailing from now on.