Baby dress finished

This dress for a one-year-old has been on the go for a couple of months, but in my defence I have been knitting other things at the same time. And spending untold hours on renovating a garden bench.

Front of baby dressNow that it’s done I am reasonably happy with it. I do wonder if the colours aren’t too bright though. We’ll have to see how the baby and her mother feel about it. The yarn is Drops Cotton Light, a 50% cotton DK that comes in a big range of colours.

I changed a few things in the pattern (Fairy Leaves), as is my wont. Most obviously, I used 2 colours instead of one. That meant knitting an extra plain row/round before each moss stitch band to make a neat change of colour.

Also, I adjusted the number of stitches to give an odd number for all the bands worked in the round, because for some reason they were supposed to have an even number, and that doesn’t work unless you do K2 or P2 at each transition from one round to the next.

The pattern as written called for the sleeve bands to be knitted to and fro and then sewn up – needless to say, I didn’t much like that idea and worked them in the round instead.

Back of baby dressFinally, I omitted the vertical band of moss stitch that is supposed to run down the centre back of the bodice as a continuation of the opening placket. I replaced it with stocking stitch, which IMHO looks a lot better.

I have a full ball of green yarn left and a fair amount of the pink too. I’m going to try and make a hat that incorporates the leafy lace from the neckline of the dress.


About yorkshirecrafter

I live and work in West Yorkshire.  I've always enjoyed crafts of all types, from woodwork to lace-making.  I also enjoy anything mathematical, which makes knitting a favourite pastime, especially complicated designs.  I've been advising businesses and industry on environmental matters for 30 years and also have an interest in green living, especially where it saves me money. I live with my husband and our Maine Coon in a 100-year-old cottage that constantly needs something doing to it.  Fortunately, I enjoy DIY too.
This entry was posted in knitting and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Please leave a reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.