Predictably, I’ve become rather bored while knitting my linen jumper. I’ve finished both sleeves and the body up to the armholes, which means all three parts are back on a circular needle to knit the yoke. There are raglan decreases every other round, but I started with over 350 stitches. It’s slow going, knitting so many stitches in plain stocking stitch on 2.75mm needles. Also, I’m a bit fed up with lugging around the full 420g reel of yarn when I go to my knitting group or have an opportunity for extra-mural knitting in the sunshine. To ring the changes, I’ve started a baby dress in a 50/50 cotton/polyester DK.
This is a free Bernat pattern called Fairy Leaves. It’s supposed to be in one colour, but I’m using a contrast for the moss (aka seed) stitch bands around the neck, cuffs, waist and hem. The yarn is Drops Cotton Light. I think a 50/50 blend is better than pure cotton for little ones, it’s not so heavy and it’s easier to wash without it “dropping”.
So now I have two summer garments on the go that I need to get finished while we still have the warm weather to enjoy them. The baby dress shouldn’t take long, knitting DK seems very quick after the fine linen yarn. Much softer on the hands too.
Cutting your losses
The pattern for this little top-down dress calls for 4mm needles, as is normal for DK, but I found I needed to go down to 3.5mm to get the right tension. I started with straight needles, knitting to and fro, and then went to look for my 3.5mm interchangeable tips when I got to the base of the back neck opening and needed to start knitting in the round. I eventually found them in a lacy scarf I started making over a year ago and haven’t touched for months and months. The pattern is Vigneto.
I don’t often give up on a knitting project, but this scarf really wasn’t doing it for me. The main lace pattern is 52 rows long with patterning on the purl side as well as the knit side, which means it is far from relaxing. Added to that, when I looked at how much yarn was left on the cone and how far I still had to go, there seemed little chance that I’d have enough to finish it. So I bit the bullet and pulled it out.
I originally made a beautiful all-over lace shawl (Gail aka Nightsongs) with this viscose yarn:
and I think it would be better to choose another all-over design for the remainder. First, I should wind what’s left on the cone around a yardstick and work out how much length I have.