I’m making preparations for a cycle tour in a few weeks’ time. Last year when we cycled along the Riviera I didn’t take my bike computer to track the distances because I found at the last minute that it had a flat battery. That meant I’ve only just noticed, as a result of finally putting a new battery in it, that when I bought a new front wheel before last year’s trip I forgot to take the “sender” unit off the old wheel before I got rid of it. So I now have the computer itself, the “receiver” which is attached to a front fork, but nothing to attach to a spoke on the wheel to tell the receiver every time it makes a revolution.
I say “nothing to attach”, but fortunately I have plenty of neodymium magnets because they are useful for all sorts of things, like ferreting cables through voids and finding lost pins, screws and the like. I taped a variety of different sized magnets in turn to a spoke and soon discovered that a pretty small one would work. I was thinking that I’d have to make some kind of bracket to hold it that could be fixed onto the spoke, then I realised that the reflector that was already on the wheel would do nicely if I just moved it along the spoke a bit.
I cut down a wine cork at an angle until I had a slice that was the right length and shape to hold the magnet at the perfect position, nice and close to the receiver. After sticking the magnet onto one side of the cork slice (I dug a little hollow for it first) with 2-part epoxy glue, I was able to give it a final test by fixing the slice temporarily to the reflector with a rubber band. Then I stuck it on with more epoxy. I’m leaving the rubber band in place for now, it won’t do any harm and it should make it a little more secure.
The effect is somewhat “sealing wax and string”, but who cares, it works and has avoided the need to replace a perfectly good bike computer that only gets used when I’m touring.
Another reel of linen yarn
As well as the reel of fine linen yarn in a natural light brown that I’m knitting a jumper with, I’ve found a reel of white. I need some new traycloths to replace a couple of ragged crocheted ones – I didn’t make them, my crocheting is pretty rusty and I hate darning in ends, a necessity for crochet work unless it’s something very plain.
Instead of crochet, I thought I might knit the traycloths. I started with a swatch in a design similar to a scarf I once made, Camino Bubbles. But it has turned out too lacy.
I’m going to have to double this yarn to give me an end product that’s robust enough for everyday use on a tea tray. And choose a less open lace pattern.