As is usual, I’ve started more new things than I’ve finished this week. Let’s start with the finished objects.
Blue Alternating Slip-stitch Socks
First, the blue slip-stitch socks. I can’t show you any photos of them looking perfect on the sock blockers I made for the last pair because I haven’t yet blocked them. I darned in the ends on Wednesday evening and then had to wear the socks on Thursday because I’d run out of clean winter-weight ones. We’ve had so much wet weather lately that I’ve got rather behind with the laundry. But we had a rare blue sky day on Thursday for the socks’ first outing. I’ll block them when they come out of the washing machine.
Elastic cycle “clips”
The next finished object was both started and finished this week. I hate cycle clips, I find them really uncomfortable with a nasty tendency to ride up the calf and dig in. Plus they don’t adjust well for different trouser/sock thicknesses. For a number of years I’ve used elastic “clips” instead. I started off with a simple pair of elastic loops, but it was tedious having to pull them over my shoe-clad feet to get them on, so they were soon replaced with elastic strips fastened with Velcro. The Velcro fastening allowed for adjustment to accommodate everything from linen trousers and no socks in summer to thick socks and padded hill-walking trousers in winter. But I lost one of these “clips” a few weeks ago and then, as luck would have it, I lost the other one soon after. I’ve been cycling everywhere with my trousers either tucked into my socks or rolled up ever since – neither of which is a good look. Time to make some more.
I’ve used the same soft and slightly furry elastic as the last time. It’s meant for use inside the waist of kids’ clothes and came from Bond’s of Farsley some years ago. I didn’t have quite enough of it so I’ve made it go further by stitching it to some non-elastic waistbanding and then I stitched the Velcro to that. It’s worked well because the firm waistbanding at each end makes it easier to pull open the Velcro.
A new Wurm
On the projects started side of the equation, I’ve begun sewing the bike transportation bag. I’ve also finished the Easter Bunny’s head – diluted red drawing ink worked a treat for shading the ears and it’s totally waterproof. I’ve made a start on a leg but I’m finding knitting on 2.25mm needles rather trying and I’ve begun a hat as an antidote. A friend made admiring comments about the Wurm hat I’ve been wearing all winter, and I found myself saying, “Well, I’ve got plenty of yarn left. I can make you one if you’d like.” She liked.
When I came to look for the yarn, I realised that while I’ve got loads of the chenille 4-ply left, there probably isn’t enough of the plain burgundy 4-ply to knit all the stripes for a second hat. I knitted with both yarns doubled the first time around, but I’ll need to put a strand of something else with the plain yarn for this one.
I’ve found some fluffy, mainly grey yarn with flecks of red that should do. There are a couple of balls remaining from a cone of it that I used to knit some gloves once upon a time. It’s yet another of my long-held leftovers – I bought the yarn some 35 years ago – and it’s time it became something useful.
90th birthday card
I’ve also started to make a card for a friend whose 90th birthday is coming up. He’s a bit sensitive about it, and definitely wouldn’t want anything that has the dreaded 4-score-years-and-ten number on it. I did a Google search for images for a 90th card and, along with the ubiquitous Scrabble ones (“90 is only 9 in Scrabble”), I saw a few that played on the Celsius/Fahrenheit conversion. I’ve designed a card based on that and printed it out at full scale on ordinary printer paper. I’ll use that as my template for the card. I’ve already carefully cut out the big 32 so I can draw the shapes onto some patterned paper.