For once I’ve achieved what I was planning to do last week and made a quilted cafetiere cover. In fact I made two because one of my pieces of Skopos quilted furnishing cotton was exactly twice as big as required.
I used to bind the edges of this quilting with purchased satin bias binding. It certainly gave the things I made a luxurious look, but I discovered that the binding wore away much faster than the fabric and soon became ragged-looking. Now I make my own binding, either from the top layer of the fabric itself if there’s enough, or a toning fabric. For this hot water bottle cover I used a left-over strip of curtain fabric.
More baby hats
After 4 of these sock yarn baby hats, I’m calling a halt.
One is for the new baby in my family, the others will be put to one side until I need a small present for another new arrival. They work really well in patterned sock yarn and, at about 20 grammes apiece for a newborn size, they are perfect for using up the leftovers from an adult-sized pair of socks. I knitted the red one top-down, just for a bit of variety and to use every last inch of the yarn.
My next knitting project will be a scarf from the luxurious yarn I acquired at the Masham Sheep Fair.
I can’t wait to get started.