I finished the baby hat that matches the little top I made recently.
The pattern is Super Stretchy Baby Hat. There was just enough yarn to complete it but not enough for the I-cord “bobble” at the crown. So I thought I’d knit another hat with an I-cord ending.
This one used up 20g of sock yarn left after knitting these toe-up socks. I didn’t use a pattern for the hat, I just calculated I’d need about 100 sts for the size I wanted (14-15” circumference, suitable for a newborn) and then cast on 99 because I like to have an odd number of crown decreases. I used Jeny’s Stretchy Slipknot Cast-On – learnt earlier this year when I made the Lia sweater – to make sure the bottom of the hat wouldn’t be tight, and then I just knitted until I felt it was time to start decreasing.
I could have done 11 decreases spaced at 9 stitch intervals in the first round, but I opted for 9 decreases 11 stitches apart instead. That made the first decrease round K9, K2tog, repeat to end, and subsequent decrease rounds K8, K2tog; K7, K2tog; K6, K2tog, etc. I worked one plain round between each decrease round. When I got down to 18 stitches I did a K2tog round and then a round of double decreases (Sl1, K1, PSSO) to reduce to 3 stitches. Then I knitted an inch or two of I-cord and tied a knot in it.
I’m not sure about the rolled brim. It might make the hat wearable for longer because it can be rolled up or down to adjust the length, but I suspect that it won’t stay in place too well, not having the elasticity of ribbing. I’ll probably make another of these hats from sock leftovers but it will have a conventional ribbed welt.