Years ago, my mother made a padded bed headboard. I think it was an easy first project when she joined an upholstery class and, since she didn’t actually need another headboard, I ended up with it.
It’s beautifully made (like everything she did) with a calico front and some sort of shiny lining fabric on the back, but it’s never had a cover. This headboard has been in a bag in the attic for longer than I care to remember. I went in search of it the other day when it occurred to me that it might do for the bed in our spare room. It’s not really wide enough for a double bed, but needs must.
I paid a visit to the Shuttle fabric shop and bought a remnant of strong cotton furnishing fabric in a neutral, off-white shade. I rustled up a slip-over cover which fastens with Velcro along the bottom.
I’ve attached the headboard to the wall with mirror plates.
That meant drilling out a hole behind each one.
I drew circles, stitched around the circumference of each and then cut away inside the stitching, painting on some PVA to make sure the fabric wouldn’t fray.
But it looks reasonably neat on the back.
The finished result – although it does need the attentions of a steam iron.