I should be wearing my Lia jumper by now, but I’ve only sewn in one of the sleeves. I think I’ve made a mistake in lengthening them and widening the upper portion. When I tried on the jumper with one sleeve in, I thought it looked a bit baggy in the armhole area, in contrast to the rest of the garment which is very close fitting. I’m going to take it along to my knitting group and ask the very experienced ladies there what they think. Worst case, I’ll have to pull out both sleeves to a few inches below the armhole and re-knit them.
When I was knitting this chunky (US: bulky) weight sweater I got fed up with having to use loops of yarn as stitch markers. My existing markers aren’t big enough for 7mm needles. Eventually, part way up sleeve no.2 I gave in and had a rummage through my bead collection to see what I had that could become a stitch marker. I found a pair of blue and white Chinese-style beads that had been destined to be bobbin spangles when I was going through a torchon lace phase. I always spangled my bobbins in pairs, which meant I had an excuse to buy two of any pretty, medium-sized bead I came across that would work as the centre of the spangle. I put these ceramic beads with small white glass beads from a broken necklace and some tiny lapis lazuli ones I once bought on a whim.
I used the method described in my Knitting Stitch Markers tutorial. The finished markers are big enough to go on my largest 000 (10mm) needles, although it’s been a while since I last knitted anything that thick.
While I was at it, I made a set of smaller-sized markers using charms and eye pins. These are so easy to make, and inexpensive even if you don’t buy mixed charms from China in quantities of 50 or 100. I used the same method I described in a post last April except that I replaced headpins with eye pins and hung the charms directly on the eye rings.
As per usual, one of the set is different from the others. I’ll use the flower as a start-of-round marker while the tortoises are denoting the increase/decrease points, or as the travelling marker when the others are stationary.
While waiting for my Lia jumper to dry on the blocking mat (and subsequently while wondering what to do about the sleeves) I’ve been knitting egg cosies for a local charity sale at Easter. I still have yellow acrylic DK left from knitting Tour de France bunting in 2014 and this seemed like a good opportunity to get rid of it. So, what is yellow and Eastery? Chicks! But a little Ravelry researching produced patterns for ducks and bee skeps too.
I’m not at all sure about this duck, and I won’t be making any more of them.
There’s nothing wrong with the pattern, it’s just that I have a lot of trouble making anything that’s meant to be an animal look like one. It’s something about the eyes.
The beehives are more successful, probably because they don’t have faces. I was hoping to find some bee buttons to sew onto them, but I’ve ended up having to make my own bees.
The first skep (on the right below) was rather large and comes down right over the egg and the top of the eggcup. I made the next ones smaller, more egg-sized.
I remembered I’d got a ball of yellow eyelash yarn that I bought in Norway to knit Easter chicks and never used. I think it was in 2003. (Memo to self: stop buying weird stuff, or at least, start using weird stuff I’ve bought in the past.) I soon churned out a few chick egg cosies and they seem to look alright despite having faces.
The instructions are in my Ravelry project in case you too happen to have a ball of chrome-yellow eyelash yarn that you bought for no particular reason in a Scandinavian town over a decade ago.