Work/life just got unbalanced
It’s been one of those weeks where work gets in the way of life. I have been slaving over a hot laptop for 10 or more hours a day, when I haven’t been out at client meetings. Finally, today, I got a few hours sitting in the sun in the garden and then managed to fit in my final Couch to 5k run. So it’s over, the running-for-novices programme I started nine weeks ago. Right now I’m feeling like it’ll be too soon if I never run another step in my life, but ask me again when I’ve had chance to reflect on it a little.
As if I haven’t been busy enough, we’ve had a gale that has caused some tree damage. The trees are in full leaf now and ill equipped to cope with Force 10 winds. A large sycamore branch has come down and will need stripping of its twigs and then chopping into logs. Two thinner ash branches have twisted beyond redemption and are now almost horizontal. They will have to be cut down before the next wind rips them off and strips bark from the trunk in the process.
Frogging SGC for the third time
I have done a little knitting most evenings, to keep me sane. By Friday I was feeling very pleased with myself, being well into the “crazy stripes” of Stripes Gone Crazy. Each stripe was of fewer rows than the last, and worked over fewer stitches, so I felt like I was accelerating towards the end of the body of the cardigan. Then I noticed that the back was already nearly as wide as it needed to be, yet there were far too few narrow stripes down the left front. Uh oh! That leaves a gap at the lower left front.
The problem is, my row tension is relatively loose, meaning that my stripes are wider than they ought to be. Since the crazy stripes run at an angle across the back, turning almost vertical by the time they reach the left side, that will make the lower back too wide as well as too long. I will have to rip out a fair bit of knitting – the third time it’s been necessary on this project – to remedy the situation. I have only two narrow stripes and five non-crazy stripes on the right front instead of the three narrow and six wide that the pattern calls for, and each of the wide stripes is the same height as five narrow stripes. That means I’ll need a total of 27 narrow stripes down the left front instead of 33, but their width at the back where they go crazy will have to be the same as the 33 ought to be. Some recalculation is going to be required to make this work.